Friday, July 13, 2012

Theme Journals - Best Idea Yet!


Okay - I am absolutely doing this for one of my writing warm up times at the beginning of block.
Each block has a set of notebooks with a different writing prompt on the front = 30 distinct journals.  Students then take turns writing a prompt in a different journal each week.  After 30 weeks, you have 30 entries in each journal.  I think it would be AWESOME to have a writing auction at the end of the school year, so that each student could take home a classroom book.

I think a nice extension would be to have students peer edit (in color pencil) the previous entry before they  begin their own writing. This would give students a chance to read other writing, practice improving their editing skills, and fully immerse them in the writing process.

Now, I just need 100 more journals...WAIT!  I just returned from Walmart with 100 journals. To make this even more fun for my students, I am going to let each of them determine one of the themes for the journals.  I will guide them through some ideas, but ultimately they will create the prompt theme!

Here are our class journals

No comments:

Post a Comment