Thursday, July 5, 2012

Facebook Thief


  • So I just borrowed this post from Facebook because it has so many good books listed on it for my kids! Ha ha.


    The Chronicles of Vladamir Tod by Heather Brewer would make a great Halloween unit. I *LOVE* the Fablehaven series by B. Mull that I let Cullen borrow the first of a while back. The Red Pyramid is the first book in Rick Riordan's (Percy Jackson author) new series. It's all about Egyptian mythology, very cool and could be an awesome crossover with a geography unit or something.
    9 hours ago · 

  • That's a tough age group because their reading levels are probably all over the map. However, here are some possibilities:

    I really enjoyed Kristin Tubb's SELLING HOPE and I think it would be easy to integrate into both Science and Social Studies curriculum. I have a copy at the house if you want to read it. (I could probably get you a classroom set of these too. Let me know if you decide to do it.)

    Both Cate and Jon loved MANIAC MAGEE, and although I haven't read it yet, I think any book that they BOTH like indicates a broad appeal. Cate lost her copy so many times, I may have an actual classroom set in my house. ;)

    THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM, 1963 would be another great one for the classroom if you want to look at the Civil Rights era.

    HATCHET by Gary Paulson is a fantastic book that all of my kids have read and loved.

    I know you did one of Patricia Reilly Giff's books. PICTURES OF HOLLIS WOODS would be another good one by her for that age group.

    THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS and THE BOOK THIEF are excellent books that look at the Holocaust.

    I'll keep thinking...

  •  I have so many... Probably my absolute favorite is The Giver by Lois Lowry. The idealistic life Jonas has, as compared to the weight he'll have to shoulder is heartbreaking. It gives a sharp contrast as to the price he has to pay for the secrets he has to keep.

    Other than that... Lord of the Flies. Fahrenheit 451. Catcher in the Rye. The Princess Bride. The Handmaid's Tale (although probably not really YA or appropriate for 5th and 6th graders. I read it in high school).

    My daughter would backup Wayne's mention of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. She's addicted to them. Katy would also want me to mention the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. And The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins

  •  My favorite is Diary of an Absolute Part Time Indian but I'm not sure you could get by with the language at Oakland. Great life lessons though. My second would be the Witch and Wizard series by James Patterson (which also comes in graphic novel form). Oh, and the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil ??? I used this for 4-6 bookclub last year and they loved it.

    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. It offers an interesting perspective of the holocaust. Many Thomas kids have read and enjoyed it.

  •  Slake's Limbo, by Felice Holman and Beauty, by Robin Mckinley

  • Wrinkle in Time was my absolute favorite growing up and it's pretty timeless

  •  I'll second Maniac Magee, The Hatchet, and Wrinkle in Time. All very good books with ideas that have stuck with me. I also like The Phantom Tollbooth, and the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Love that series. Hmm, why? I guess I like the epic-struggle-of-good-vs-evil, and that series made it easy to vividly imagine a life in a very different setting from mine, but still a real setting. Now I want to go re-read those!
  • I havent read The Boy In The Striped Pajamas but I have seen the movie. It disturbed me greatly as an adult!!!!

  •  Island of the Blue Dolphins,and Witch of blackbird Pond are my favorites. Recently read the White Giraffe and think its whole series would be awesome for this age group.
    6 hours ago via mobile ·  · 1

  • Trouble River, Number the Stars, The Hundred Dresses, Rules, Julie of the Wolves, Shh We're Writing the Constitution, James and the Giant Peach, Charlotte's Web, Indian in the Cupboard, Castle in the Attic, and The Nest Christmas Pageant ever!
    These were some of the titles we use to read when taught LA!!
    5 hours ago via mobile · 

  • Oh and one that is rarely-mentioned but is fantastic is "Diamond in the Window". Amazing book that combines adventure, fantasy, history, and deep thinking about the Boston Transcendentalist movement.

  • Anne of Green Gables series. The Runaway Robot. (I can't stop...)

No comments:

Post a Comment