Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Memory Makers and Honesty

Remember that day when Dr. Evans gave me my first pink slip?  I do. The date was May 9, 2012.  Of course, I wasn't upset; I knew my contract was ending.  I felt bad for her, and told her so.  What an awful way to end the school year, passing out pink slips.  She asked me to check my letter because some of them were misprinted.  I opened my letter in front of her and sighed with disappointment.  She asked me what was wrong.  I explained to her that I wanted to frame my first pink slip and truly felt disappointed that the paper was white. I wanted PINK!  She smiled.  I hope it cheered her up a bit.

Later that day when I checked my voice mail, I was dismayed upon hearing a message inviting me to my very first interview for a teaching position.  Wow.  Timing is everything.  Protected and cared for that is how I felt.  A quiet nod of reassurance that I am still stepping on all the correct stepping stones as I make my way quietly forward on my teaching journey.

Now the honesty part:  First graders and I just do not click.  They will NEVER know that truth by the way.  They only believe I love them with all my heart, which I do.  However, let me just say that there is some unknown element mixed in that particular age group that causes me to privately lose my patience to the MAX.  Like I said, THEY WILL NEVER know that truth because I keep it completely hidden from them at all times.  It cracks me up so much that I LOVE kindergarten and second grade, but struggle in first grade.  Funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment