Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Interview

Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.
-William Arthur Ward

The last few days have been a blur of excitement, lack of sleep and dizzying work. I received an invitation to interview at Alvaton for a 6th grade position. My interview is tomorrow, and I am enjoying every minute of the nervousness and anticipation. I realize that I am not alone in this process, and every new teacher has to start with the interview. Realizing that all I have to do is be the person I am and do my best is taking most of the pressure off of me. A teacher taught me to think like that many, many, MANY years ago.

I feel it is important to be as prepared as possible so I've been devouring six grade standards, interviewing CT 6th grade teachers, visiting with former 6th grade teachers and making mental notes of all my experience working with this age group. After reviewing, I was pleased at how many opportunities I've had that make me extremely qualified for the position. If the position is indeed a writing position, not only will I be THRILLED, but I may not be able to leave without offering to work without pay. Truly, when I contemplate the possibility of teaching 6th grade, I find myself astonished and quite pleased at how amazing the prospect feels in my heart and guts.

My principal and cooperative teacher are AMAZING. They both met with me today and conducted a mock interview and provided me with feedback. During the interview, I had the opportunity to tell them the story about why I wanted to become a teacher in the first place. I made myself cry on the spot, and the simple fact that the whole story goes back to my teacher at Alvaton is pure synchronicity. I do not fancy the idea of crying during an interview, so I hope the tears stay put tomorrow. :)

I found that making a list of my experiences that related to the position helped me focus and articulate my responses. Some things I came up with that do not appear on my resume:
4 year volunteer leader for support group for teens.
Peer tutor at the Learning Center at WKU's South Campus - helped students revise and edit their papers - research, personal narratives, letters, argument/persuasion.
Degree in Social Studies - Extensive writing for every course, including a senior thesis, research, and secondary education classes (helps to see where students are headed).

My goal for today is to rest, study the standards some more and sleep like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment